Everything You Need To Know About Mercury Fillings

Everything You Need To Know About Mercury Fillings

We know from 15 years of conclusive studies that mercury fillings can have detrimental effects on your overall long and short-term health. Not many people realise it but mercury is one of the most toxic substances to man and is an accumulative toxin in the body. So it absolutely baffles me how this substance is still being used in dentistry around the world.


Since mercury fillings were introduced, it was widely assumed that the toxic vapours would not be released when trapped into solid metal fillings. How wrong this assumption was! We know from repeated tests that not only is the vapour able to find its way into the blood stream, it is also able to cross the blood/brain barrier and produce toxic accumulations in the brain. This accumulation then effects brain health and function.


According to the British Dental Association 3-5% of people with mercury fillings develop mercury sensitivity. Ironically, if these figures were translated into flu rates during a winter season then the NHS would categorise it as an epidemic. Go figure! Yet despite this, they are still being routinely inserted into mouths in all corners of the world.


One of the major areas of concern, as demonstrated by the University of Calgary (and others) is that mercury accumulation can and does cause brain cell degeneration. If you want to see these conclusive finding then I would strongly suggest having at a look at The International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology website: www.iaomit.org The website details over 15,000 peer reviewed research papers that show how toxic mercury is in the body and why it should be discontinued in dentistry.


It’s for this very reason why the Department of Health in the UK discourages all dentists from replacing amalgam fillings in pregnant women. The potential toxic release from the procedure could be fatal to the unborn child. But it’s safe right!?


Countries around the world are now taking notice of the growing evidence. Sweden, Norway and Japan have banned mercury fillings altogether and Germany and Austria have banned them in children and women.


If you have amalgam fillings I would strongly urge you to consider having them replaced with alternatives. Speak to your dentist for the alternatives they offer.


If you do have amalgam fillings then there are certain foods that you should avoid to reduce the further accumulations of mercury in the body. There are also certain foods that are great for removing mercury from the body.


Foods To Avoid


  • For those with amalgam fillings you should absolutely avoid: tuna, sea bass, mackerel, marlin and shark.
  • These are by no means conclusive and the recommended fish to avoid is constantly evolving as does pollution in the sea. The best website I have been able to find to keep abreast of the relevant safety information is www.nrdc.org (Natural Resources Defense Council). They have lots of fantastic information – so check it out!
  • Avoid all fish that is fished in Spain and the Gulf. Well over 25 tons of cadium, lead, copper and mercury are dumped in the surrounding seas every year.


The Best Anti-Mercury Foods


  • I would always suggest you eat as many fruits and vegetables as you can as these will help your body detoxify the heavy metals like mercury. Always choose organic if you can as many fungicides are mercury based.
  • Two of the best things to remove mercury from the body are chlorella and coriander. An absolute must if you have mercury fillings.
  • Lots of water (a minimum of 2 litres a day – more if exercising). Ideally spring water.
  • I personally advocate a plant based diet but if you are going to consume fish then these are among the safest (in terms of low mercury levels) in 2015: Freshwater trout, hake, clams, catfish, Atlantic haddock, crab, crayfish, scallops, whiting and anchovies. These are obviously fresh not tinned. Tins often contain very high amounts of mercury.




Pin It on Pinterest